One of the most common mistakes we see people make is trusting your vehicle's measurement of miles per gallon. I have never seen an instance where the vehicle calculation is correct. Accurate MPG can be calculated in five easy steps:
- Fill the vehicle's gas tank completely and reset the trip odometer.
- Drive until its necessary to refuel.
- Fill the tank completely, but do not top off.
- Write down the total number of gallons necessary to fill the tank.
- Divide the total miles on the trip odometer by the total number of gallons.
While we at Range prefer to measure gallons per 100 miles, "MPG" is the convention in the United States. Please see MPG is Stupid for more on this subject